Sunday, February 6, 2011

Greyson Dean

Part II
August 30th 2010 was the big day.  It was the day that Nick and welcomed our precious son.  After much anticipation the day finally arrived.  So much anticipation for me, because after a month on bed rest I was ready to GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD! Even though bringing Greyson into the world was the most amazing experience, I have to admit it was shadowed by some disappointment.  From the moment I found out I was pregnant I had this idea that everything was going to go exactly how I had it in my head.  WRONG!  I thought that pregnancy would just be easy for me.  Part of the reason I believed this is because every woman in our family pretty much sailed right through pregnancy.  And for the most part my pregnancy was very easy too.  I got pregnant very easily, I wasn’t horribly sick, and up until the last two months or so everything went pretty well, aside from an incident where my blood pressure crept up a little higher than they liked, but they put me on some medicine and that kept it at bay for a long time, until I got preeclampsia.  Going “all natural” was something that was very important to me.  I didn’t want to have an epidural, and I certainly did not want to have a cesarean section.  But wouldn’t you know, I ended up having both.  Before the big day arrived I had to go into the hospital twice due to my rising blood pressure.  Then at my 37 week checkup which was on a Thursday, my doctor decided to go ahead and induce me.  We scheduled the induction for the following Monday. 
I remember getting ready to go the hospital very clearly.  I was supposed to check in at 7:00 am.  I Woke up at 5:30 am and got in the shower.  I was so nervous! The whole way to the hospital I remember thinking, “Wow this it, we are going to have a baby today!”  Nick was my rock.  He kept reassuring me that everything was going to be all right.  As soon as we got to the hospital and got all settled they checked me and I was dilated to a two.  Then they went ahead and started the pitosin.  They also had to start me on magnesium sulfate because of the preeclampsia.  That was not fun.  It makes you feel like you’re cooking from the inside out.  Then we just waited and waited and waited.  It seemed like forever.  Then finally my doctor came in to see how I was progressing.  I wasn’t, so she went ahead and broke my water.  Then we waited some more.  It seemed liked hours and hours went by.  Then she checked me again and I was only a two and a half.  So she decided we needed to go ahead and do a c-section.  I was disappointed, but yet relieved because it had been a very long day, and I was ready to meet my son!
They got me prepped for surgery and wheeled me down to the OR.  Then they did a spinal block.  That was the weirdest feeling to me.  I couldn’t feel a thing from m y waist down at all.  Then they got me on the operating table and Nick was able to come in at that point.  I remember them pulling out these little arm rests on the side of the table and strapping me down.  I guess since you are awake during the procedure they strap you to it just in case you freak out.  My doctor then proceeded to tell me she was pinching me very hard with a clamp and asked me if I could feel it.  I couldn’t, so they officially got started.  I remember the drape being over me and all these people standing over me and working, but it just seemed like they were pretending since I couldn’t feel anything.  Then I heard it.  The most beautiful sound I have ever heard.  Greyson’s first cry.  I had tears streaming down my face.  They got him cleaned off and then gave him to Nick.  Then they brought him around so I could see him.  They put him close to my face and I was able to give him a kiss.  I don’t know how much time passed, but they finished putting me back together and then I had to go to recovery for a while.  I couldn’t wait to get back to my room and hold my baby.  After I was done in recovery they took me back to my room.  I remember the nurse walking in with this little bundle and she handed him to me.  I couldn’t believe how beautiful he was.  I couldn’t believe that he was mine.  Then I was able to nurse him for the first time.  It was so amazing.  I cannot explain how full my heart felt with love.  It really did feel like it was going to burst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment